Skip to main content

Fighting the monster

It is a typical day at work. I'm caught up, for the most part. The weather is good. I had a good lunch, and by many measures all is well.

Except for the monster.

The monster is a thief of good emotions. It is difficult to keep the monster at bay, but I keep trying. I go to the Doc, I take my meds, I meditate, and I try to keep myself reasonably fed and watered.

It isn't easy, and it is never done. That frustration alone can make it worse.

So, why write about it? In my own way, I am trying to defang the monster by not keeping it a secret. I don't hide my depression or treatment, I'm upfront about it... without being in your face about it. Many folks suffer in secret, not wanting to deal with unfair stigmas associated with the disease. I was there a long time ago, and I do know that it can get better, albeit imperfectly sometimes.

So, I'll keep fighting the monster. Like many other situations involving monsters, fighting is much better than surrendering to it. If you have your own monster, keep fighting it... just like me.

If you are looking for something upbeat, may I recommend Bomb Shelter Radio. We will be back tonight with an all new show starting at 8PM US Eastern Time. I hope you will be able to join us.

Cheers,
Illya

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gibberish

Friday July 18th, 1969 14:46 - Apollo 11 mission day 3 of 9 - 302,400 Kilometers from Earth, 3,807 km/h, Command Module docked with Lunar Module.  Apollo 11 Photograph AS11-36-5378 I'm 67 years old. Every day, the future looks a little bit darker. But the past... even the grimy parts of it... keep on getting brighter. -- Sally Jupiter src Sally Jupiter is a character in the comic Watchmen, which should be required reading... echo "Depression is a bitch." | sha512sum | fold -w 40 fe2f6b788e2a59bde4123f1deee9ef0305824069 63ab80cf74252a629c22fa1fa82a6faa6f77f1cd 3e0cd69b1487212aa070c769f098d8281b676f54 69a4eccc  - There will be a show tonight. I hope you will join us. Cheers, Illya

Getting ready for our first show

Good day! Tomorrow at 8PM US/Eastern time is our first show of the new season. Here are a few reminders on things you should consider doing in preparation to enjoy the show. The primary place for station news, schedules and information is the website  http://bomb.shelter.radio.am/ and the blog  https://bsr-rants.blogspot.com/ . During the show our listeners, DJs, and station administration folks gather in a "chat room" on slack. Join us on slack at https://bombshelterradio.slack.com/ . If you need at invite to the slack instance, click here . Make sure you have a music client that can read an Icecast mp3 stream (M3U filetype). The VLC Media Player is an excellent choice if you don't already have something installed. The server is located at  http://bombshelternewsroom.com:8000/ . WinAmp and iTunes also work well.  We play the game Cthulhu Dice in the slack instance during most broadcasts. You can find the rules on the Stev

What will you use to listen to BSR?

So, in about seven days BSR will be back on the air. For some folks, connecting to BSR will be old hat. The server is in the same location it was during our last million broadcasts, and they already have a streaming application they are familiar with. For others, this may be a new experience (and if so, welcome aboard!) or they need a refresher. Rather than try a one size fits all tutorial just yet, I figured I would start with some basic questions. What listening tool would you like to use? (e.g. iTunes) What operating system are you on? (e.g. Windows) This will help us develop a few tutorials to get folks started. Please let us know in the comments. And now, your moment of zen… https://twitter.com/VirginAustralia/status/1118760531618172928 Cheers, Illya PS: In theory this should post automatically to the slack channel as well. It is interesting to see the difference between a tool that encourages collaboration (slack), and one that is a closed system (faces